Re: Link-time optimzation

Daniel Berlin Wrote:

> > It [LLVM] is proven to be stable, high-level enough to
> > perform any kind of needed optimization,

> This is not true, unfortunately. That's why it is called "low level virtual machine".
> It doesn't have things we'd like to do high level optimizations on, like
> dynamic_cast removal, etc.

For the record, this isn't really true at all. LLVM does already capture some high-level program properties, and is constantly being extended over time. I will note that it would be far easier to extend LLVM with the functionality you desire than to reinvent a whole new way of doing things.

That said, wanting to stay as close as possible to gimple is a reasonable design point, and LLVM certainly isn't that.

-Chris