Re: Link-time optimzation

> The GCC community has talked about link-time optimization for some time.
> In addition to results with other compilers, Geoff Keating's work on
> inter-module optimization has demonstrated the potential for improved
> code-generation from applying optimizations across translation units.

I don't understand why all the Linker section cannot just be done from collect2
and let the linker not know anything at all.

That seems like the best way of implementing it.  Unless you want to integrate
binutils inside GCC which might be the best goal anyways if we also want to
include MS style inline asm.

Also I see there is no mention of LLVM at all in the design, I would have thought
that it should be mentioned why you did not choose that bytecode format and why
make another one.

-- Pinski