Re: Call for compiler help/advice: atomic builtins for v3

Richard Henderson wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 01:35:13AM +0100, Paolo Carlini wrote:
>

>>We have to add to the library
>>out-of-line versions of the builtins... (in order to do that, we may end
>>up restoring the old inline assembly implementations of CAS, for example)
>>

>I don't think you need to restore inline assembly.

Would be a dirty short-cut... ;)

>>If I understand correctly, this is what we are already doing in the
>>*.so, for i386 vs i486+. I would not call that "optimization flag",
>>however. Can you clarify?
>>

>I'm not sure how you were previously controling what went in here.
>By configuration name?

Yes, see configure.host

>  That's certainly one way to do it, and
>probably the most reliable.

Ok, thanks.

>Another method is to use -march=i486 on the command line, and from
>there use the __i486__ defines already present to determine what
>to do.  Note that, at least for x86, -mtune=cpu affects __tune_cpu__,
>but not __cpu__.
>
>My thinking would be along the lines of

[snip]

Ok, thanks. That is also by and large what I had in mind, modulo I would
exploit our current infrastructure that you can ascertain looking to
configure.host.

To be sure: can you confirm that there is no easy solution for the
x86_64 issue? I mean, it's annoying that we cannot inline the builtins
for i686, but even more so for x86_64...

Paolo.