Re: Call for compiler help/advice: atomic builtins for v3

Paolo Carlini wrote:

> Yes, in principle you are right, but in that case we can reorder the
> ifs: first i686, last i386 ;) Seriously earlier today I was hoping we
> can have something smarter than a series of conditionals at the level of
> libgcc, I don't know it much. I was hoping we can manage to install a
> version of it "knowing the target", so to speak.

Yes, GLIBC does that kind of thing, and we could do.  In the simplest
form, we could have startup code that checks the CPU, and sets up a
table of function pointers that application code could use.

In principle, at least, this would be useful for other things, too; we
might want different versions of integer division routines for ARM, or
maybe, even, use real FP instructions in our software floating-point
routines, if we happened to be on a hardware floating-point processor.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC