Re: svn diff branch woprking copy against mainline?

Joern RENNECKE wrote:
Branko Äibej wrote:

It certainly seems that --old and --new are redundant.

I suggest a search in http://svn.haxx.se/dev/.

What should we search for? I tried both of --old and --new, and both searches
came up empty.
Heh, that's Google search for you...

Try

"--old" "--new"

Also, you could
consider stealing some ideas from Perforce, where the command would be
something like

p4 diff file.c@gcc_4_0_1_release file.c

and the RCS figures out how to map the label to the repository version.
Basically, the # and @ characters are special; # is used to introduce
a revision number (the global revision number), and a number of things
can follow @, like a label, or a date.

This seems to be a common misconception. The important thing to remember here is that there is no separate namespace for labels and branches in SVN, and that the layout of the repository is arbitrary. IOW, the fact that you have branches in /branches is a convention, not something imposed by the SVN server.

It's not a misconception, it's a perception of an svn shortcoming. There should be a configurable mapping from branch/tag names to branch/tag
locations. I.e. you tell the svn server once what your conventions are, and then you don't have to apply them by hand every time you refer to
a branch or tag. Without such a mechanism, svn makes a rather poor cvs replacement.
As I said in another post, I don't want to repeat past dev@subversion.tigris.org discussions on this list (and yes, you're talking about things we've already discussed to death. :)

-- Brane