Re: svn diff branch woprking copy against mainline?

On Nov 2, 2005, at 7:45 PM, Branko Äibej wrote:
However, before coming up with a zillion suggestions about how to make the syntax nicer, please do consider the idea that we did put a lot of thought into the diff syntax, and that covering all the uses and edge cases and is not easy.

Any system that requires me to specify the same things over and over again, is broken. cvs _never_ did.

cvs diff -rtag1 file.c
cvs update -jtag-1 -jtag-2 file1.c file2.c
cvs update -rnew-branch .

the list goes on and on. You sacrificed usability for the masses for an edge case that we don't care about. The good news, is the interface is trivial to fix. Find a solution, and just fix it. I want a user interface that uses no more words than the above, for the above operations, and no more funny characters than the above either. I don't mind if instead of -rtag1, I have to use -rtags/ tags1 and -rbranches/apple/trunk, that sort of expansion is fine.

In cvs land, I typed -d:whatever, about once a year, I want to type svn: about once a year as well. If someone wants to do something funny, let them type a long command line, that's ok.

Until then, this _is_ a regression.

Oh, and how does one do:

-rb1 -D '20 days ago'

in svn? It felt like svn threw away all the fine GNU data handling stuff. Instead of throwing it away, reuse it. cvs has it, GNU date has it.