Aliases crossing procedures

Hi,
      I am trying to understand alias analysis. And currently using
gcc 4.0  I find that it reports a pointer crossing procedure
boundaries as   pointing to anything  even in the simplest case of a
passsing by reference. I guess interproceural analysis is hard in
general but  is it so even in these cases. Arent special cases
possible in these scenarios'.  Or is it that catering to such cases
makes it lose the generality ?

thanks
Shrey