Re: backslash whitespace newline

On Oct 26, 2005, at 6:50 PM, Robert Dewar wrote:

The problem is that it's portable to every other compiler we've
tested. I am curious what icc and xlc do, but those are the only
two not tested.

Sorry, I have a different meaning of portable, for me the term is related to the standard, meaning that standard conforming compilers are required to process the code correctly.

"Happens to work on (some/most/all) compilers" is not the same
thing at all for me. COmpetent programmers write portable code
by knowing what the standard requires, not by trial and error :-)

I couldn't agree with you more on that statement. But I'll follow it up with: competent tool writers make their tools so robust that even incompetent programmers have trouble abusing them.

Now I know that no tool is fool proof. We all know the fools are getting more clever every year. But here is a little thing we could do to make our tool a little more fool proof.

-Howard