Re: backslash whitespace newline

On Oct 26, 2005 02:30 AM, Joe Buck <Joe.Buck@synopsys.COM> wrote:
> I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why this is an important
> issue, other than that someone has a customer who says that it is.
> Why is it important to the customer? Why wouldn't a one-line sed
> script that eliminates the issue altogether suffice?
Anything that makes porting from one platform to another is a problem.Â
If some app doesn't compile, this customer (usually an ISV ;-)Âpunts and
says "it doesn't work" and that is the end of it for them. Telling them
that GCC is unique and that they should use a sed script shouldn't be
necessary.
I don't understand why _anyone_ sane of mind would support the idea that
it is OK that GCCÂdoesÂBÂif everyone else in the industry does A. Maybe
B isn't such a good idea, then? Even if it is the technical superior
thing to do, it may not be the right thing to do. People actually use
this compiler, and if GCC does things differently from most others
compiler, it makes GCC a headache instead of a tool if those folks want
to switch compilers.
Gr.
Steven