Re: backslash whitespace newline

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 06:51:45PM -0700, Mike Stump wrote:
> On Oct 25, 2005, at 5:40 PM, Joe Buck wrote:
> >1) a C++ comment
>
> >But case 1 is the nasty one, as users think they can put anything
> >in a comment.  A backslash at the end is likely to be an accident,
> >since just starting the next line with a // is easy enough.
>
> Be interesting to see the results of a grep on a large software
> base.  Does anyone have ready access to, say a linux distro handy?
> Of all the hits I know about, none of them were an accident.

You're forgetting something: GNU/Linux distros are built with gcc,
and everyone is now using 3.x.  So there can't be buildable programs
that depend on behavior gcc doesn't support.  There can't be any
currently maintained programs for Linux or BSD that do.

Only users that have never used gcc 3.x could be depending on non-gcc
behavior.  Apple is free to do whatever, but please don't claim
that you're doing it for "portability" if you encourage your users
to write code that breaks with gcc 3.x shipped by folks other than
Apple.