Re: A couple more subversion notes

On 2005-10-20, at 16:57, Richard Kenner wrote:

Sorry about that, but let's not remember of the other dozens which
works on branches and can do a merge in seconds instead of literally
*hours*, and so on.

Yes, but how often do even those who work on branches a lot do merges?
If not very often, why not just start it up, background it, and go to sleep?

I don't think we can uniformly win everywhere, right now. I believe I
have already shown and spoken about many day-to-day advantages even
for people working only on mainline/release branches, and I'm sure
that people that wanted to listen have understood.

What I keep seeing are increasingly complex solutions in order to keep
efficiency the same as it is now. This is a very large distributed cost,
which can't be ignored.

If speaking about cost you shouldn't forget to discount them with the cost of things which simply don't get done and cost people have to "work around" or "learn to live with" due to source code management by CVS. A better dirctory hierarych for example...