Re: A couple more subversion notes

Richard Guenther <richard.guenther@gmail.com> writes:

> If it is at all possible we should probably try to keep read-only CVS working
> (and up-to-date) for HEAD and release-branches.  This will allow occasional
> contributors and technically-less-provided people to continue working in
> submit-patch mode or in regular testing without raising the barrier for them.
>
> I guess it should be possible with some commit-trigger scripts which svn
> surely has?

I think that's a good idea.  But I don't think it's fair to expect
Daniel to write it.  It should be feasible for any sufficiently
interested person to write a script to dump out a patch from SVN,
queue up the patches, and apply them to the CVS repository.  In fact
this doesn't even have to be driven from SVN commit scripts.  It
obviously doesn't have to be a real-time operation, and could be done
at any time.  For example a cron job could simply grab a diff of
everything since the last time it ran and then apply it to the CVS
repository.  The only even slightly tricky part would be getting the
cvs add and rm commands right.  We could run that script an hour.
Anybody who needs more cutting edge sources can switch to SVN.

Ian