Re: Warning C vs C++

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 06:54:26PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Tommy Vercetti:
>
> >> The warning is controlled by -Wsign-compare, which is turned on by
> >> -Wextra (also known as -W) but not by -Wall.  It's not turned on by
> >> -Wall because it is not normally a problem.
>
> > That's strange, all users I know expected it to turn ALL warnings,
> > hence name.
>
> Some people claim it's a homage to Larry Wall, inventor of Perl.

Generally speaking, we want -Wall to be safe to use.  gcc has some
warnings that can't be silenced without making correct programs
worse (-Weffc++ comes to mind); these are not included in -Wall.

In that sense, -Wall effectively means "all the warnings we recommend
that you use".  Some people might want to argue with this, but that
is the practical effect.