This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: proposed Opengroup action for c99 command (XCU ERN 76)
- From: Neil Booth <neil at daikokuya dot co dot uk>
- To: Paul Eggert <eggert at CS dot UCLA dot EDU>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:22:14 +0900
- Subject: Re: proposed Opengroup action for c99 command (XCU ERN 76)
- References: <email@example.com>
Paul Eggert wrote:-
> Here's the problem. Currently, POSIX places almost no requirements on
> how c99 transforms the physical source file into C source-language
> characters. For example, c99 is free to treat CR as LF, ignore
> trailing white space, convert tabs to spaces, or even (perversely)
> require that input files all start with line numbers that are
> otherwise ignored. This lack of specification was not intended, and
> I'm trying to help nail down the intent of what c99 is allowed to do.
I suggest we simply remove the GCC extension. I never liked it,
it's awkward to code, and it slows down CPP a bit.