Minimum/maximum operators are deprecated?

Why?

I just switched my project to gcc-4.0.1 and now i get tons of warnings :-( I
always found the min/max operators extremly useful, especially der assignment
variations <?= and >?= . There isn't even an replacemant for them I am aware
of.
Hell, I even overloaded them :-) Ok, this is possible with some functions too,
but I find it rather cumbersome (but, hey, other people use java and
cold-blooded claim they are lucky with it).
I hoped, they would make it one day into normal C :-/
Is there a reason?