GCC 4.0.2 Status Report

Simply put, it's time for another GCC 4.0.x release.

There are 48 critical bugs open against 4.0.1 and some nearly 200 regressions. I've not done a complete triage, so I can't say how many of these might be incorrectly targeted. Fewer than 20 are wrong-code, which is still more than I'd like, but not completely unacceptable.

I don't see anything that makes me think that the current 4.0.x branch would be markedly worse than 4.0.1, and, clearly, a lot of bugs have been fixed since 4.0.1. Therefore, I intend to make a 4.0.2 RC1 this weekend, unless subsequent triaging, or a heads-up from someone, forces me to conclude that something about 4.0.2 would make it unacceptable to current 4.0.1 users.

There's no special freeze for the 4.0 branch at this point; we'll leave it in regression-fixes only mode. The branch will freeze when I create the first release candidate.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC