Re: More NEWS on GCC?

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 09:31 -0400, Timothy Miller wrote:
> On 8/30/05, Nicholas Nethercote <njn@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
>
> > Timothy has a good point.  GCC is arguably more important than the Linux
> > kernel, yet it gets very little press and recognition.  Note also that
> > everybody loves Linux (more or less) but people mostly bitch about GCC if
> > they think about it at all.  Perhaps these facts are connected?
>
> Oh, I see my share of bitching about Linux, and I'm not talking about
> the intelligent kind you get from developers (like what I see on the
> GCC Wiki).  It's funny when you see a kernel expert (I mean that
> positively) make a boneheaded comment about GCC.  :)  But that's
> beside the point, and I agree with you that if GCC got more media
> attention, people would appreciate it more for its strengths and for
> its challenges that are far from trivial to fix.

We tried having gcc news in various places, but nobody updates it.
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GCC%20Traffic%20%28news%29
It's publicly editable, etc.

The kernel news sites, etc, have people willing to commit to taking that
10-20 minutes a day to do it.
We don't have these people, apparently.

If someone, for example, even just posted the links to the archive with
some wild guess of what was cool about it (based on the email), i'd
happiy fix it if it was wrong :).