[DEAD] APPEAL to steering committee: [Bug target/23605] memset()Optimization on x86-32 bit

Joe Buck wrote:
I've looked at the bug in bugzilla; it's not marked as invalid, though
I tend to agree with Andrew and Ian's comments in the log.

I set the bug back to unconfirmed after I noticed that, in my opinion, there can be more optimization done.

In any case, the SC doesn't get involved in cases like this.  And even
if the SC lost its sanity and decided to micromanage Bugzilla as you
ask, it would take a 3/4 vote, and you certainly wouldn't get mine.

I didn't realize that the SC had no control over Bugzilla. Unless there was something I missed, all what the web site said was:

> In April 1999 the steering committee was appointed by the FSF as the
> official GNU maintainer for GCC and changed its name to GCC steering
> committee.

All I can now say is:

If no one on the GCC team wants to fully investigate my bug, then there's nothing I can do about the bug except to implement the fix in my own code.

This appeal started up over misunderstandings between Andrew Pinski, Ian Lance Taylor, and I. I felt that Ian Lance Taylor agreed with me prior to submitting the bug to the bug tracker, and so, felt humiliated by Andrew Pinski's comments. When Ian Lance Taylor stepped in, he made the misunderstanding obvious to me, and so, I did what I could to see if gcc was performing optimizations as much as possible.

This appeal is now dead. Let's get on with our projects, regardless if my bug report will ever be turned into a bug fix.

- KJM