gcc newbie and open projects

Hello all!

I would very much like to contribute to the gcc
project and as such have been monitoring the gcc list
and perusing the documentation.

One project in particular looks interesting.

Make insn-recog.c use a byte-coded DFA.

Richard Henderson and I started this back in 1999 but
never finished. I may still be able to find the code.
It produces an order of magnitude size reduction in
insn-recog.o, which is huge (432KB on i386).

Is this still an open project?  and if so can anyone
give me more information on what is needed?

I am an experienced c/c++ programmer but will
obviously need to come up to speed on the gcc compiler
internals.

If anyone is feeling generous please let me know of
projects which I could start with.

hope to be talking with you all alot more,

regards,
Brian N. Makin