Re: GCC-4.0.2 20050811: should GCC consider inlining functions in between different sections?

On Aug 12, 2005, at 5:05 AM, Etienne Lorrain wrote:
  I have added a command to the linker file to forbid reference from
 one section to another:
NOCROSSREFS (.text .xcode);

It sounds like this feature isn't compatible with inlining, -fno- inline I suspect is one of the few ways to `fix' it in general, that, or require that all functions be marked noinline that would otherwise be wrong to inline.

The question is in fact: what is a section for GCC?

Anything a user wants. We don't limit the uses, so this question cannot, in general be answered, at best a few users could tell you how a few of them are using sections. For example, I would not expect most people to know about NOCROSSREFS.