Re: Lost gccbug submission

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 11:23 +0200, Rainer Orth wrote:
> Daniel Berlin writes:
>
> > > Could you please check what's going on there?  Is this a general problem
> > > with gcc-gnats processing or a problem parsing that particular message?
> >
> > Dunno.  Grepping mail logs older than an hour takes a while on
> > sourceware, because they are large. Can you resend it and notify me when
> > you do?
>
> I just did so.
Fixed.
Perl syntax is weird enough that when people update it, they sometimes
add compile errors by accident, so the script doesn't even run enough to
be able to issue an error message :(.

> > gcc-gnats parsing will probably go the way of the dodo when i move us to
> > bugzilla 2.20 in a month or two, because i imagine it will break, and I
> > just don't have the time or care to update that script.
> >
> > Do you just want some way to submit bugs by email, or what?
>
> Exactly: I don't care for gccbug or gnats in particular, only for a way to
> submit email bug submission (just as I can add comments by email once I've
> submitted the initial report).

> > I'm happy to provide a simple python script that uses a sane interface to
> > submit bugs so you don't have to use the web interface, but i'm curious if
>
> That would be nice (although perl instead of python would be a tad more
> convenient since it is probably more widespread, especially on non-Linux
> OSes, but a python script is certainly much better than having to go
> through a web browser).

The problem is that perl is much harder for me to maintain.

>  Especially important is that the script uses
> whatever editor I prefer to compose the actual message.

Fine, but the tagging will probably be very different than what gnats
uses.
It will be something much more xml like, such as
<summary> summary text </summary>

> > the draw is the ability to send by email or just not use a web browser (IE
> > are you actually composing gccbug style emails, or using gccbug)?
>
> I'm using gccbug since it provides the complete template where I just need
> to fill in the beef of the report.  All I care for is the ability to handle
> bugs completely by email.

I understand, but you need to realize I'm trying to provide you this
with a maintenance burden that is at or below the level of use.

Right now, the biggest time sink in maintaining and improving the
Bugzilla code *is* the email handling scripts.  Not the comment
appender, which is rather small and simple, but in particular, the gnats
email parser, and to a lesser extent, the query/update interface.

However, the number of people using these things has been very steadily
declining, to the point where there appear to now be only three regular
users of the gnats email interface, including you.

It's very hard for me to justify the time i end up spending updating
that gnats interface when new bugzilla versions come along (these are
the ones that live on my machine until they get moved into production.
I didn't put any development version of 2.19 into production, though it
was living on my machine.  I plan on putting the next stable series,
2.20, into production).