Template instantiation stack messages "staggered" -- why?

Hi all,

Something about GCC's instantiation stack messages seems curious to me: for a given stack layer, the location in the message is not that of the template instance name that appears in the same message, but instead the point of instantiation of a template instance named in the immediately preceding message. (So the shallowest point of instantiation is always given in a message that reads "instantiated from here".)

I can't see anything wrong with this approach, but I can't see the advantage either. (AFAIK, GCC is unique in this respect: there are other compilers that produce instantiation stacks, but for each of the ones that I've seen, each stack message contains both a template instance name and its corresponding POI.)

James Widman
--
Gimpel Software
http://gimpel.com