Re: GCC 4.0.1 testsuite uses installed g++ instead of newly bootstrapped g++

Hi Lance,
Thanks for your prompt reply. Point by point, below.
Best regards, Paul Leopardi
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:26 am, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> "Paul C. Leopardi" <leopardi@bigpond.net.au> writes:
> > Hi all,
> > I did not receive a reply to my earlier message. Have I posted it to the
> > wrong list? If so, what is the right list for this message?
> > Thanks
> >
> > On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 07:23 pm, Paul C. Leopardi wrote:
> > > How do I make the tests find the bootstrapped g++? Shouldn't the test
> > > just do this automatically? How is the test supposed to find find the
> > > bootstrapped g++? Is it done via an environment variable? Which
> > > environment variable? What sets the value of this variable? Is it a
> > > script or a program?
> > >
> > > What have I configured wrong, if anything? If this really is a bug,
> > > then why does the test work for Andreas Jaeger and not for me?
> > > http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2005-07/msg00112.html
> > >
> > > Should I file another bug report and hope that I don't kust get
> > > WORKSFORME? Best regards
>
> This is probably the right list.  It's just that nobody happened to
> reply.  gcc is a volunteer effort, particularly when it comes to
> answering questions on the mailing lists.

OK. I understand this. I also know that getting my problem resolved is going
to be a cooperative effort, probably involving hours and hours of work on my
part. I have already spent many hours on this, having bootstrapped and tested
g++ 3.4 and 4.0.1 numerous times. It's just that I don't know enough about
how the test code is supposed to work to be able to resolve a problem when I
see it. In paricular, I have not seen a detailed example of the c++ test
working, and so cannot compare with my own case.

> In this case, it's hard to write a useful reply since you didn't
> provide any informative details.

I gave links to threads on this and other mailing lists, and referenced bug
15356. I also gave excerpts of test output. Other than that, I did not want
to bombard the list with megabytes of "-v -v" test output which may not be
needed. Rather I wanted to wait for guidance on what details to provide.

> It is true that running the
> testsuite will normally use a newly built compiler, without requiring
> it to be installed.  However, you didn't provide critical information
> like precisely what you did,

I said (via the URL links) that I bootstrapped gcc 4.0.1 on SUSE Linux 9.2
AMD64, and tested gcc and g++, and that gcc worked and g++ did not work.

Contents of http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-amd64/2005-Jul/0156.html