Re: PING [4.1 regression, patch] build i686-pc-mingw32

DJ Delorie wrote:
> At the time you're running configure, the gcc driver does *not* exist,
> but you *do* need to run as and ld to test what features they support,
> information which is needed in order to *build* gcc.

I don't see the relevence to problem at hand.  The Makefile that contains
the currect hack that's causing the problem doesn't exist at configure
time either.  If your proposed solution of creating new programs to
execute as and ld were implemented then these new programs would also
not exist at configure time.  It's not a problem in configure that's
causing the bootstrap failure, it's a bug in the Makefile.

						Ross Ridge