dw2 frame unwinder - unaligned access

Hi,

With reference to the following info in the EH handling newbie document,

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-07/msg00391.html

<snip>
The exception handing via dwarf2 debugging information requires
several things to work:
-Unaligned accesses to read dwarf2 information
</snip>

What is the recommended way to do DW2 frame unwinding based exception
handling for targets that do not support unaligned accesses in
hardware? I did see the documentation about UNALIGNED_INT_ASM_OP, but
not sure if that is meant to generate a directive to the assembler to
produce an aligned int (the name indicates otherwise). Also, I see
UNALIGNED_INT_ASM_OP being used only in the VMS debugging source file.
So I am unsure how it relates to DW2 based frame unwinding.

thanks for any help,

regards,
Vasanth