Re: Where does the C standard describe overflow of signedintegers?

> From: Paul Koning <pkoning@equallogic.com>
>>> From: Robert Dewar <dewar@adacore.com>
>>> the optimization is indeed valid
>>>
>>> optimizations may most certainly alter behavior of undefined
>>> code. think about uninitialized local variables.
>
>  Paul> I don't contest that it may, I simply don't believe it should.
>
> In that case you may want to stick with -O0.  There are *lots* of
> things GCC does that alter undefined cases.  How about the undefined
> behavior when aliasing rules are violated?  Would you want to make
> -fno-strict-aliasing be the only supported setting?

- Isn't the purpose of "restrict" to explicitly enable the compiler to
  more aggressively optimize references which it may be not have been
  able to identify it as being strictly safe?  (As opposed to it feeling
  compelled presume potentially disastrously otherwise, without explicit
  permission to do so?)