Re: Reducing debug info for C++ ctors/dtors

On Jul 11, 2005, at 6:18 PM, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 06:11:58PM -0700, Jason Molenda wrote:

Yeah, Devang didn't present what we're doing here on the debug side
too well.  We're giving up a bit of information from within gdb --
it won't know what constructors and destructors a class has defined
-- for a large savings in debug info (this can be over 20% of an
application's debug info when lots of templates are in heavy use).

Because the FUN stabs are still present, gdb knows about the
constructors; it can step into them, it can set breakpoints on them.

For most developers, this isn't a worthwhile tradeoff, but for a
certain class of appliations the stabs debug info is enormous and
this helps to ameloriate that by giving up a small bit of gdb
functionality.  This won't be enabled by default even within Apple,
but it is a useful option to have available.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes more sense.

What do others think about this patch? If people think, it is OK to have one additional knob for users then I'll test and submit formal patch.

I'll treat silence as, this idea is not OK for FSF GCC. I'd like to
give Jason and our customers compiler with such fix ASAP. And if
it is considered good idea for FSF GCC then I'd like to iron out
small details (e.g. name of switch, stabs specific or general for
all dbg format etc..), in the beginning.

Thanks, - Devang