Re: Some notes on the Wiki (was: 4.1 news item)

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Steven Bosscher wrote:

> Another idea that was coined on IRC is to have reviewing and commit
> after approval rules for the user manual, but to allow patches to the
> internals manual in without review.  Is that something people are
> willing to consider and discuss?

Rather than getting rid of review for the internals manual altogether, I
think we should appoint more maintainers who can commit without review and
review other people's patches.

It's *already* the case that if you are the listed maintainer of part of
the compiler you also maintain documentation related to that part and
don't need review for such documentation.  Perhaps some parts of the
compiler need more maintainers.  In addition, if someone makes good
contributions to the documentation in a particular area they can be made a
maintainer for that part of the documentation.

Note that a maintainer who isn't confident of a patch within an area they
maintain can still ask for review if they wish.  Review isn't meant to get
in the way of people who know what they are doing in an area and know
enough to know when they need review.  It is meant to provide a check on
work by people with insufficient expertise to tell when review is
appropriate.

--
Joseph S. Myers               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/
    jsm@polyomino.org.uk (personal mail)