Re: tr1::unordered_set<double> bizarre rounding behavior (x86)

Paolo Carlini <pcarlini@suse.de> writes:

| Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
|
| >If you regard the object representation as an array of bytes, does it
| >take long realize it is not much different from hashing a character
| >string?
| >
| It takes less if your proposal comes together with a specific one for
| character string hashing:

You do have one already.  Start from there.  Measure, then we can
argue later.  Now that you realize it is same issue, we've made
significant progress.

[...]

| involved. For example, I'm not at all sure that the hash function
| suggested by submitter of 21193 would also work statistically well for
| floats (note that most of the real world succesful applications
| mentioned in the linked web page are about *real* text). I don't think

Yes, but note also that those depend on some assumptions about
the distribution of some words.  Not every specific context would
equally benefit from that.  The point being that once you
have reduced the problem to one previously known solved problem,
it is only a matter of arguing about little details.  I think
that is far better than current situation.

-- Gaby