Re: MEMBER_TYPE_FORCES_BLK on IA-64/HP-UX

> Steve Ellcey defined MEMBER_TYPE_FORCES_BLK when he first implemented
> the ia64-hpux port.  At the time, I mentioned using PARALLELs was a
> better solution, but this was a simpler way for him to get the initial
> port working.  Since then, there have been a lot of bug fixes to the
> ia64-hpux support by various people: Steve, Zack, Joseph, etc.  Looking
> at the current code, it does appear that all cases are now handled by
> PARALLELs, and that the definition of MEMBER_TYPE_FORCES_BLK no longer
> appears to be necessary.
>
> I don't have an ia64-hpux machine, so there is no easy way for me to
> test this change.
> --
> Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.SpecifixInc.com

I am concerned about the use of MEMBER_TYPE_FORCES_BLK in stor-layout.c.
I believe that, if MEMBER_TYPE_FORCES_BLK is not defined, this code will
change the mode of a structure containing a single field from BLKmode
into the mode of the field.  I think this might mess up the parameter
passing of structures that contain a single field, particularly when
that field is smaller than 64 bits, like a single char, an int, or a
float.  I would definitely want to check the parameter passing of small
single field structures before removing MEMBER_TYPE_FORCES_BLK on
ia64-hpux.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com