Re: Reporting bugs: there is nothing to gain in frustrating reporters

On Jun 20, 2005 09:51 AM, Michael Veksler <VEKSLER@il.ibm.com> wrote:

> Despite being descriptive and friendly, bug masters
> frustrate me and other users by being too eager
> to close the PR. I would suggest a policy change,
> a PR should be closed (as duplicate or as INVALID)
> only after discussion was exhausted.

And you going to provide the extra man-power required to track bugs this
way, right? This means keeping an eye on many more bugs where a discussion
is still going on. Unless you have convincing proof that it happens often
that valid bugs are closed as INVALID, I think we should change nothing,

I have seen a discussion similar to your description of a bug discussion
only once, and in this case the bug master was right. It is equally
frustrating for gcc bugmasters that some user thinks it is OK to keep
re-opening a bug report because his/her opinion is The One Opinion. This
is something that happens a lot. "There is nothing to gain in frustrating
bugmasters" ;-)

Maybe every once in a while a bugmaster closes a bug report too quickly, but
at least the bugmasters get a useful job done.  If you compare the state of
our bug database now with the mess of a couple of years ago, we are much
better off now.

Gr.
Steven