Re: Fixing Bugs (Was: A Suggestion for Release Testing)

Scott Robert Ladd wrote:

Testing and bug reporting are ways people can contribute to GCC if they
haven't the time or knowledge to effect repairs themselves.

Sure

GCC isn't special; all areas of specialized knowledge have steep learning curves, and I'm certain I could find applications that would mystify GCC's illuminati.

Actually, as anyone working with compilers knows, they are unusually complex pieces of software, so they are special.

Lowering the learning curve would bring in more GCC developers and get bugs fixed faster. I know quite a few very bright people who find GCC's current documentation inadquate and opaque, and the environment less than inviting.

Improved documentation is of course always welcome

..Scott