Re: Getting started with contributing

> I'd like to get started with helping to develop GCC but am seeking
> some advice from those of you who are regular contributors on the best
> approach to adopt.

I think you should consider trying to fix bugs (Bugzilla has a broad choice of
these things :-), maybe front-end bugs to start with, say the C and C++
front-ends (relatively simple C++, not the fancy stuff), for example related
to warnings and errors.  That will give you a glimpse of how these beasts
work.  Then you could gradually migrate to other, "deeper" parts of the
compiler.

If you choose that approach, do not look at 3.x bugs; the 4.x compilers have
obsoleted a subtantial amount of 3.x-ish things it would be wasteful to learn
at this point.

--
Eric Botcazou