Re: Will Apple still support GCC development?

On Jun 06, 2005 09:26 PM, Scott Robert Ladd <scott.ladd@coyotegulch.com> wrote:

> Samuel Smythe wrote:
> > It is well-known that Apple has been a significant provider of GCC
> > enhancements. But it is also probably now well-known that they have
> > opted to drop the PPC architecture in favor of an x86-based
> > architecture. Will Apple continue to contribute to the PPC-related
> > componentry of GCC, or will such contributions be phased out as the
> > transition is made to the x86-based systems? In turn, will Apple be
> > providing more x86-related contributions to GCC?
>
> A better question might be: Has Intel provided Apple with an OS X
> version of their compiler? If so (and I think it very likely), Apple may
> have little incentive for supporting GCC, given how well Intel's
> compilers perform.

Heh, it will be interesting to see what they'll do, but it would be pretty
surprising to see them drop GCC right now, unless they have an Ace up their
sleeve (i.e. a non-GCC ObjC compiler).  But it is not like the end of the
world if Apple does not support GCC any longer, and if they will, well, I
guess it _could_ be good for most of us, no? ;-)

Gr.
Steven