Mac OS X Panther to Tiger Build Changes for GCC 3.3 and 3.4

I tried doing bootstrap builds of GCC 3.3.6 and GCC 3.4.4 but these builds fail due to the absence of the 'c++filt' tool. I noticed in the libiberty Makefile that there is some comment about this tool being moved to a different binutils package, which I have not installed on my machine.

I used the core-release files as well as the full release files and did the following:

1.  unpack sources with bunzip2 and gnutar
2.  cd into dir
3.  mkdir build
4.  cd build
5.  ../configure
6.  make bootstrap

The builds proceed for quite awhile until they hit this missing 'c+ +filt' tool problem.

These builds were done on an Apple Power Macintosh G5 Dual 2GHz machine running Mac OS X 10.4.1 Tiger and Apple's standard Xcode 2 development tools which I guess are now missing c++filt.

I previously have done bootstrap builds of earlier versions of GCC 3.3 and GCC 3.4 and they have built successfully under Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther.

GCC 4.0 builds fine on 10.4.1 Tiger without this problem, so whatever small fix was made to GCC 4.0 probably could be made to 3.3.6 and 3.4.4 to get them to build, but I have not taken the time to track this problem down further.

Dan Allen
N39°59.8' W111°45.4'