Re: What is wrong with Bugzilla? [Was: Re: GCC and Floating-Point]

Kai Henningsen wrote:

The entire GCC website (of which GCC
Bugzilla is a part) could be the poster child for why developers
should never be allowed to design user interfaces, especially web user
interfaces. I'm sure I'll get flamed for wanting style over substance
or about the proliferation of eye candy, but the GCC web site and it's

... which I think are poster childs why non-technical people *usually* ought not to be allowed to design web sites.

attendent support pages can only be charitably described as eye trash.
Yes, you can find the bug link if you read the main page long enough
and move down the page slowly enough, or if, like me, you fire up
Firefox's find and use that to go quickly to the bug link. But that's
beside the point. At the very least the design of the GCC web site
makes the whole project look like someone who has just discovered the
web and decided to build a few pages. And please don't harp on making

To me, it looks *very* professional.

I'm sorry, but I felt I couldn't leave this comment alone. The main GCC page is badly designed. The logo looks very amateurish, and also try exploring the page without actual knowledge. I just tried this. I suspect most people on their first visit are here because they want a copy of gcc, and it's perhaps reasonable to assume at this point they don't know a huge amount, and perhaps don't want to compile from source (if they had a copy of gcc, they wouldn't be here :). Yes, I know and you know it's not gcc's job to provide that, but I'd look for a copy of gcc by typing "gcc" into google, and gcc.gnu.org is where you get to first)

Lets try to get a copy of gcc. Firstly I see something in the top-left marked "releases". I click on it. It doesn't mention 4.0, and despite reasonable attempts I see no sign of code. Next I see a mention of 4.0.0 in the main body. After wandering around that link for quite a while I find a link to the mirrors page, which is full of source.

Next try documentation, installation. Talks about compiling again. Finally, at download, binaries I find what I want. Seeing as I suspect that is the link most people want when they first visit, it should perhaps be a little more obvious, and in the main body near the top?

Chris