Re: What is wrong with Bugzilla? [Was: Re: GCC and Floating-Point]

On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 12:50 +0200, Giovanni Bajo wrote:
> Michael Veksler <VEKSLER@il.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, this is not 100% correct. Recently I have filed several
> > duplicates, *after* searching Bugzilla.
>
> That is not a problem. Bugmasters are there exactly for that. We realize that
> finding duplicates can be very hard (in fact, sometimes duplicates are
> acknowledged as such only after a fix appears), so that is our work. We just
> ask users for some *basic* duplicate checking, and I think most users do that
> before filing bugreports. So it's ok.
>

> > 3. Nontrivial search of GCC Bugzilla are, sometimes,
> >    extremely slow (over a minute).
>
> 3 could be worked on (Daniel?)

Send me the URL's for the buglists and i'll look at the queries (The url
for the buglist contains the query).

A lot of this is mysql's query engine being stupid, and is hopefully
fixed in 4.x or 5.x (sourceware is still on 3.x).

I'm happy to optimize the searchs as best i can (by adding lame extra
indexes if necessary :P)