Re: Sine and Cosine Accuracy

* Georg Bauhaus <bauhaus@futureapps.de> [050529 20:53]:
> By "real circle" I mean a thing that is not obfuscated by the useful
> but strange ways in which things are redefined by mathematicians;
> cf. Halmos for some humor.

Sorry, but sin and cos are mathematical functions. If you want to invent
some predating functions, given them other names.

There might be some use in having computational functions not working
in every range (as all computation by computers is somehow limited),
but 0..2pi is definitly too limited. As going-to-be mathematican I
could not even imagine before this discussion that someone might limit
it that much.
Breaking things like sin(-x) or sin(x+y) will definitly hurt people,
because it is natural to expect this to work.

> And yes, I know that all the other stuff mentioned in this thread
> explains very well that there exist useful definitions of sine for real
> numbers outside "(co)sine related ranges", and that these definitions
> are frequently used.

What are "(co)sine related ranges", if I may ask? Have you any sane
definiton than 'values in a range I personaly like'?

	Bernhard R. Link