Re: Problems building gcc on my mandrake

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 12:35:26PM -0400, Mehul wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build/install gcc on my Linux laptop and I am having
> problems doing that. I have read through the documentation and nothing
> seems to help me out. I would therefore like some1 to help me out.

This list is for GCC development, your question is better suited to
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org

> I downloaded gcc.4.0.0, unzipped, after which I had two directories
> under the main directory gcc and libs***. The documentation says that
> I need to create separate directory for object files. but under which
> direcrtory should I  create them.

Neither, create it somewhere else, _anywhere_ else - but not in the same
directory as the sources.

> It says once I am done configuring I shoudl run the configure script
> to build it. I couldnt find a configure script under gcc, all I have
> is *.c files. I found one under libs**** directory but when I try to
> run that it says
> "configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in . ./.. ./../.."
>
> Can some1 please tell what I doing wrong.

What about in the top-level directory above gcc and lib*** ?

This should work:

tar xzvf gcc-X.Y.Z.tar.gz
[creates a directory called something like gcc-X.Y.Z]
mkdir obj
cd obj
../gcc-X.Y.Z/configure

jon