Re: building gcc 4.0.0 on Solaris

Hi,

As far as I can understand, it's not possible to build gcc 4.0.0 and gcc 3.4.* using GNU binutils with current release 2.15 of GNU binutils. One has to use the CVS sources or at least one file.

FYI binutils-2.16 has just been released. You might want to try that.

I have installed binutils-2.16.

Things work better in the sense that I get much farther into building the Java libraries. I still hit a problem:

[...]
ar rc .libs/libgcj0_convenience.a [... around 100.000 characters ...]
internal error: error_message(58)
[...]

Is this a known issue?

I guess I should be using GNU's ar instead of Sun's /usr/ccs/bin/ar which is probably as much an antique as my version as/ld. It's not the first time I see Sun tools choke on very long command lines, so that may be the problem here, that or running out of memory:

$ ar -V
ar: Software Generation Utilities (SGU) Solaris-ELF (4.0)
[...]
$

Is there any way to tell the build process to use GNU ar instead of /usr/ccs/bin/ar? Would having /usr/ccs/bin in the PATH *after* GNU binutils actually be enough?

--
Dimitri Papadopoulos