Re: GCC 4.1: Buildable on GHz machines only?

Matt> I'd like to libjava be split into multiple shared libraries.
Matt> In C, we have libc, libm, libpthread, etc.  In X11, there's X11, Xt, etc.
Matt> So why does java have everything in one shared library?  Could
Matt> the swing stuff be moved to its own?  Are there other logical
Matt> divisions?

This is possible, though it isn't completely trivial.

To get the best effect at runtime, you want completely separate shared
libraries, which aren't linked in by default.  So then you need a
mechanism to load these libraries dynamically.  There are a few ways
to implement this, but you have to be careful to let the test suite
continue to work even if the user hasn't run "make install".

I would suggest separating out AWT and Swing as a first test.  Tom
Fitzsimmons' patch to BC-compile these libraries will make this a lot
simpler, as it already handles the weird special cases, and already
breaks up the build along the required lines.

Tom