Re: Should there be a GCC 4.0.1 release quickly?

Hi,

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> I'd rather not rush to a 4.0.1 release.

I'm a fan of release early, release often.  Really.  Even if this means we
would end up with a 4.0.20 after half a year.  Basically I can think of
only one reason _not_ to release after a critical bug is fixed.  That
reason is a very good one, it is resources.  Resources to prepare the
release, write announcement, testbuild the RC tarballs, and so on.

But given the resource constraints I think one should release as often as
possible.  Every two weeks after serious bugs are fixed seems not
unreasonable to me.  I realize that is extreme, but I still think it makes
sense.  Certainly I feel that the planned two months until 4.0.1 are much
too long for the number of critical bugs 4.0.0 had.

Ciao,
Michael.