Re: GCC 4.1: Buildable on GHz machines only?

Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org> wrote:

>> Maybe the older platform should stick to the older compiler then,
>> if it is too slow to support the kind of compiler that modern
>> systems need.
>
> This is an unreasonable request.  Consider NetBSD, which runs on new
> and old hardware.  The OS continues to evolve, and that often
> requires adopting newer compilers (so e.g. other language features
> can be used in the base OS).
>
> The GCC performance issue is not new.  It seems to come up every so
> often... last time I recall a discussion on the topic, it was thought
> that the new memory allocator (needed for pch) was cause cache-thrash
> (what was the resolution of that discussion, anyway?)

There is no outcome, because it is just the Nth legend. Like people say "I
believe GCC is slow because of pointer indirection" or stuff like that.

Please, provide preprocessed sources and we *will* analyze them. Just file a
bugreport in Bugzilla, it took 10 minutes of your time.

Giovanni Bajo