Re: Should there be a GCC 4.0.1 release quickly?

Joe Buck wrote:
On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 07:31:32PM +0200, Steven Bosscher wrote:

Yeah, but in this case the patch that introduced the bug was one of
the last to go in before the release (it was the fix for PRs 20490
and 20929, the patch for that went in on April 17).  So it was more
an unfortunate fix than a typical .0 bug.

Again, that's not surprising.  There's always a risk that a patch can
create a new bug, and the regression test suite only proves we haven't
re-broken old bugs.  Late fixes are particularly risky, because of the
limited testing they get.

Exactly. The paradox here is that I get a ton of mail right before a release with people who want to incude additional patches (which are always safe, obviously correct, and fix critical problems), and then I often get mail after the release from people who want to do another release quickly to fix critical problems (by applying safe, obviously correct patches) introduced by the previously applied patches. :-)

I'm not at all surprised that GCC 4.0.0 has bugs, even relatively serious ones. It's a .0 releases with an entirely new optimizer. If we didn't get any bug reports about serious problems I'd just conclude that nobody was using it. I certainly would have been amazed to find distributors shipping unpatched 4.0.0 to customers; I know CodeSourcery would not!

I'd rather not rush to a 4.0.1 release. I'm happy to consider moving it up a bit, but I'd like to find out what the top five or ten critical problems are and try to fix all five or ten, rather than rush out another release which fixes one or two of those problems, but still leaves people with trouble on the remainder.

So, how about we hang in there another week or so, and see what things look like? In the meantime, I'm trying to plan 3.4.4....

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC