Re: GCC 4.1: Buildable on GHz machines only?

On 2005-04-28, at 16:26, Lars Segerlund wrote:

I have never done any 'memory profiling' but I think it might be time to give it a
shot, does anybody have any hints on how to go about something like this ?

The main performance problem for GCC as I see it is structural. GCC is emulating
the concept of high polymorphism of data structures in plain C. Well actually it's
not even plain C any longer... GTY().

Using C++ with simple inheritance could help *a lot* here. (Duck...)

There is too much of pointer indirection in the data structures too.
Look throughout the code and wonder how very few iterations go around plan,
simple, fast, spare on register set, allowing cache prefetch, to work C arrays.
GCC is using linked lists to test the "efficiency" of TLB and other mechanisms
of the CPU.