how small can gcc get?

I am writing a gui app in another language that needs the gcc compiler embedded into it (or at least along for the ride), in case the user doesn't have it on their system.

What's the smallest size I can squeeze gcc down to and how would I go about compiling it in such a way?

I'm on an OS X box with gcc 3.x installed already. I'll probably be creating a disk image and installing the little gcc into it.

Direct help would be great, but pointing me to a helpful article(s) would be great too.

Thanks.

- Philip