Re: [RFC] warning: initialization discards qualifiers from pointertarget type

Devang Patel wrote:
    warning: initialization discards qualifiers from pointer target  type
This warning can not be disabled using -Wno-cast-qual
(or any other warning flags). Is it intentional ?

It looks like we have been doing it this way since at least gcc-1.42. The same code is there, with no way to disable it, though the wording of the message is a little different. I didn't try looking back any farther than that. This seems rather unlikely to be an accident.

Though of course, this doesn't mean that we can't have an option to control it. -Wno-cast-qual doesn't seem like the right choice, as there is no user cast here. Maybe something like -Wno-discard-qual, where -Wdiscard-qual is the default.

I notice that these are pedwarns, not a warning as in the -Wcast-qual case, which means that the ISO C standard requires a diagnostic here. For this reason, it may not be wise to add an option to disable the warnings. You may lose portability to other compilers.