Re: GCC 4.0 Status Report (2005-04-05)

>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew Pinski <pinskia@physics.uc.edu> writes:

 Andrew> Yes it might be a silent miscompiling but there is an easy
 Andrew> work around, use a temporary variable, ...

I'm not sure how there can ever be an "easy" workaround to silent
miscompiles -- by definition you may not know there is a problem to
work around until months later when the problem reports start coming
in from the field.

So I'm inclined to support a rigid rule that silent miscompiles are
the worst of all bugs, worse than ICE and worse than reject-valid.

    paul