Re: Copyright status of example code in Bugzilla - how to dealwith when writing testcases.

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 10:10 -0500, Richard Kenner wrote:
>     In reality, a person who submits code knowing it is going to be
>     distilled and used in testsuites under our license would probably be
>     estopped from claiming it violates their copyright to do so.  They are
>     going to have to show that they had on idea this would happen, which
>     is somewhat difficult.
>
> You'd think, but look at the SCO/IBM suits and counterclaims.

And look how badly SCO is getting laughed at by the judge.

Your only real retort in such a situation is to claim "We had no idea
this was going on", which doesn't work well if you were the one who
submitted it.

(Of course, none of this is said in any capacity as an IBM employee, or
anything like that. It's all just personal opinions, sent using my
personal email, for personal purposes)