Re: Questions about trampolines

Joseph S. Myers wrote:

Nested functions are used in the glibc dynamic linker. I'm not sure why, and they may be inline nested functions whose addresses are never taken.

The extension is not present in GNU C++, only in GNU C.

Note that we do not need to discuss removing nested functions from C, only taking pointers to nested functions. We certainly want to retain the static chain mechanism. That *is* fundamental to languages supporting nested procedures.

So more accurately the question that should be asked is whether anyone
is using nested functions in C *and* taking pointers to them.